Klamath Riverkeeper seeks a full-time Program Director to advance campaigns to un-dam the Klamath River, improve water allocation for fisheries, and reduce water pollution. This position can be based outside of the Klamath Basin, but frequent travel to the Klamath Basin is required. Applications due 1/20/2018.
About Klamath Riverkeeper
Klamath Riverkeeper is a rural grassroots organization working to restore the Klamath River and its tributaries by removing dams, ensuring adequate water flow quantity for fisheries and reducing water pollution. We advance our campaigns through policy advocacy, litigation, and by mobilizing the diverse communities that depend on a healthy river for their food supply, jobs, health, recreation and cultural survival. Our members and constituents include tribal members, conservationists, sport and commercial fishing communities, family farmers and ranchers, and tourism and recreation businesses.
Communications and Media Support:
- Design action alerts and petitions using Salsa CRM software, maintain social media platforms and create online campaigns, maintain and update website to maximize stakeholder engagement.
- Ensure synchronicity of all communications channels, both internal and external, including: website, CRM, social-media, blog, donation processing, e-mail platform, and organization calendar.
- Write media pieces such as: articles, op-eds, and press releases. Maintain and update media contact database.
- Help write, edit and design fact sheets, articles and other printed publications.
- Engage directly with decision-makers via phone, meetings, and in writing to advance KRK’s three campaigns.
- Coalition building and coordination.
- Use peer-reviewed science, community input, and Traditional Ecological Knowledge to create policy briefs and reform strategies for water quality and quantity and anti-pollution campaigns.
- Communicate directly with water management and governance agencies, including, but not limited to: State Water Resources Control Board, Department of Water Resources, regional water boards, Department of Fish and Wildlife.
Community / Public Relations:
- Evaluate community attitudes in order to build mission-driven strategies based on partner and public interest efforts.
- Execute a program of action to earn public understanding and acceptance of KRK’s vision and mission.
- Develop and coordinate leadership development and capacity building workshops.
- Interview community members in the Klamath Basin to identify training and technical needs. Create plans to develop needs and increase the capacity, leadership, and community organizing skills of community members in the Klamath Basin.
- Organize and facilitate events with community members from the Klamath Basin.
- Use participatory and consensus-based methods of campaign management and implementation.
- Support the development of grant applications and grant reports.
- Identify new funding sources.
- Maintain relationships with current, past, and prospective donors by managing donor relations in KRK’s CRM.
- Keep KRK’s development calendar up-to-date and coordinate with staff and community members about development deadlines.
- Proficiency in: Salsa CRM, MS Office, and G Suite for Non-profits.
- Demonstrated commitment to environmental and social justice.
- Experience working effectively with Native & Non-native communities.
- Excellent written & verbal communication skills.
- Research, writing, editing and fact checking.
- Community organizing and campaign design.
- Demonstrated advocacy experience engaging in administrative, legislative and legal avenues to eliminate water quality and water allocation problems.
- Experience writing grants and grant reports for non-profit advocacy organizations, or equivalent writing expertise.
- HTML, WordPress, InDesign, Photoshop, LightRoom.
- Knowledge of history and policy issues surrounding Klamath Basin dams, diversions, pollution, and/or pipelines.
- Media relations.
- Fundraising & budget management.
- Experience with online analytics and social media trends.
- Demonstrated success organizing events and designing marketing materials.
- Mediation and conflict resolution.
- Public speaking and facilitation experience.
- Consensus-based management framework.
- A sense of humor, passion, flexibility and adaptability.
SALARY & BENEFITS
This position is full-time, salaried with benefits. Salary range $50,000-$65,000 depending on experience. Benefits include medical insurance, and paid vacation accrual after first 90 days.
To apply send resume and cover letter to email@example.com by January 20th 2018. Writing samples will be requested from final applicants.